Lemon Sesame Protein Balls are perfect for a healthy mid-day snack or pre/post workout fuel! They’re are soft, chewy and very satisfying given that they’re loaded with good fats and protein. These no-bake balls are super easy to make with ONLY 4 ingredients needed!
DID YOU KNOW? Sesame seeds are beneficial for female hormones.
Sesame seeds contain phytoestrogens, plant compounds that are similar to the hormone estrogen.
Therefore, sesame seeds might be beneficial for women during menopause when estrogen levels drop. Phytoestrogens may help counteract hot flashes and other symptoms of low estrogen.
What’s more, sesame seeds are a rich source of lignan precursors. These specific compounds are produced by the microflora in the colon and have been shown to have powerful cancer-fighting effects on several specific types of cancer.
A 2012 study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that dietary lignans may act as a natural cancer treatment to reduce breast cancer risk by modifying tumor characteristics. In the study, lignan intakes were associated with a lower risk of estrogen receptor negative breast cancer. The study found that women with the highest intake of lignans compared to the lowest intake had a 40 percent to 50 percent lower chance of developing breast cancer.
All that said, if you’re looking for an easy way to add more sesame seeds into your diet, try my Lemon Sesame Protein Balls.
These protein balls are great for a healthy mid-day snack or quick pre/post workout fuel. Make a batch and store them in the fridge or freezer, so you’ll always have a healthy snack ready to pop or take with you when you’re running out the door.
What you need for Lemon Sesame Protein Balls:
- Sesame seed butter/tahini
- PurePaleo Protein Powder vanilla (or PurePea Protein for plant-based version)
- Food-grade lemon essential oil or lemon extract
- Sesame seeds
Want more healthy & delicious snack recipes? You’re going to love these …
Lemon Sesame Protein Balls
- 1 cup sesame seed butter/tahini
- 3/4 cup PurePaleo Protein Powder vanilla, or PurePea Protein for plant-based version
- 6-8 drops food-grade lemon essential oil , or 1.5 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, black or white
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Add sesame seed butter, protein powder, lemon oil or extract and sea salt into the food processor and combine ingredients. Use a spatula to scrape sides if needed. Mixture should be dense and smooth so it can be pressed together. If it's too wet, add more protein powder. If it's too dry, add more sesame seed butter (1 tsp at a time).
- Using a teaspoon, scoop mixture and form into small balls. If balls are too sticky to form, place mixture into the freezer for 10-minutes then remove and form balls.
- Roll balls into sesame seeds then place them in large shallow glass container so they're not touching one another.
- Store protein balls in the fridge or freezer for a frozen treat. Once the balls have firmed up, feel free to stack them in a smaller container.