Chicken Soup (AIP, Paleo, Keto)
This Chicken Soup recipe is soul warming and a great natural remedy during cold and flu season. It’s easy to make with simple and wholesome ingredients like chicken & vegetables. The perfect AIP, paleo & keto chicken soup recipe!
It’s time that I share my family’s chicken soup recipe, which I learned from my mom (aka. Mama J) – and she learned from my Nonna (a.k.a. Ma).
Back in my Little Jen days, Mama J would whip up a batch of her magic soup when I had Little Jen sniffles. She took good care of me – and still does even though I’m all grown up.
AND now Big Jen makes this magic soup for Mama J when she’s not feeling well. Ahhhhh, the circle of life.
So, if you’re craving a warm bowl of chicken soup or you’re looking for a great natural remedy during cold and flu season, I definitely recommend giving this recipe a try. It’s gluten, grain and dairy free.
P.S. I made a couple of modifications to the original recipe, which brings out extra flavour in the soup. Technically, you don’t have to sear the chicken and slightly cook the veggies before adding water, but the extra steps are well worth it 😉
What you need for Chicken Soup:
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Yellow onion
- Avocado oil
Want more wholesome soup recipes? You’re going to love these …
- 2 pastured chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- 6 carrots, finely chopped
- 6 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 L filtered water
- Heat oil in a large pot and sear chicken breasts, 2-minutes per side. Set breasts aside.
- Add onions and garlic into pot, stir and sauté until fragrant.
- Add carrots and celery and mix together with onions.
- Add chicken breasts back into pot and fill pot with ~4L of filtered water.
- Add salt and bring to a boil. Let boil for a couple of minutes then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Let cook for at least 1-hour. The longer you cook the more flavour you'll get.
- Remove chicken from pot, place on a plate and shred.
- If you want pureed chicken soup, add soup (minus the chicken) to a blender and blend until smooth. Add shredded chicken in after blending.
- If you want a chunky chicken soup, leave as is and just add shredded chicken to the soup.