This homemade Butternut Squash Soup is the best you’ll ever taste! It’s simple, super creamy and full of delicious roasted butternut flavor. This recipe is healthy, filling, comforting, and warms you up when the weather is chilly.
Why this Butternut Squash Soup is the best
I kept the ingredients list simple so the roasted squash flavor can shine through. All you’ll need is butternut squash, celery root, onion, garlic, coconut milk, chicken/vegetable broth, avocado oil & sea salt.
I used full fat coconut milk instead of dairy-based cream, so almost everyone can enjoy this delicious soup, including those who are following a dairy-free, vegan, paleo or AIP diet.
Roasted Everything for Major Flavour
Most of this soup’s flavor comes from the cooking method, which starts with roasting the butternut squash, and other ingredients, to bring out earthy, smoky, caramelized & sweet flavor. Not only does roasting all ingredients make this dish super flavourful, but it also makes it super easy to prepare.
Serve It Now or Later
If you’re planning to make this soup for company, you can serve the soup straight from your blender. Or, make it the day before and reheat it in a pot on the stove. You can easily store this soup in a mason jar in your fridge for up to a week.
This soup is perfect as is…no garnish required, but feel free to add a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper or some toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) for extra visual appeal.
Squash roasting options
There are a few options when it comes to roasting butternut squash for this recipe. One is to halve the butternut squash, scoop out the seeds and roast the halves. Make sure to cut the squash from the stem down (lengthwise), so that it’s easy to scoop the seeds out.
The other option is to peel and cube the squash then roast them. I usually opt for the first one because it’s super quick and easy (unless you purchase butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed). BUT the option is there and the choice is yours.
What you need for Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut squash
- Celery root
- Coconut milk
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt
Want more healthy soup recipes? You’ve got to try these …
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, skin on
- 1 celery root, roughly chopped
- 1 400 ml can full fat coconut milk
- 1.5 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth, more if needed
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Arrange butternut squash (flesh down), garlic, onion and celery root on the baking sheet. Rub the flesh of the squash with a little avocado oil and drizzle some on everything else. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before handling.
- Scoop the squash from the skins and place into blender. It should measure about 5 cups of squash.
- Add the onion, peeled garlic, celery root, coconut milk, broth and sea salt to the blender. Puree until smooth.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little more broth until desired texture is reached.
- If the soup isn’t hot enough, pour into a saucepan and heat gently before serving.
- Store leftovers in a mason jar in the fridge for up to one week.