Kombucha “Mulegarita” (Plant-Based, Paleo)
Kombucha “Mulegarita” is a refreshing cocktail made with simple ingredients like kombucha, ginger tea, lime and tequila. It’s the perfect drink to quench your thirst this summer! See non-alcoholic version in the recipe notes.
Here’s why Kombucha is one of my go-to healthy thirst quenchers during the hot Summer days …
Kombucha is a fermented beverage consisting of black tea (or other teas) and sugar (cane sugar, fruit or honey). The tea and sugar combo is fermented by bacteria and yeast commonly known as a “SCOBY” (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast).
This functional probiotic food helps to support a healthy gut by aiding in digestion with its high levels of beneficial acid, probiotics, amino acids and enzymes. The bacteria found in kombucha are the beneficial kind that compete with “bad” bacteria in the gut.
Additionally, some research has linked kombucha to ulcer prevention & healing–and helping to stop candida from overpopulating the gut.
Look for unpasteurized organic kombucha. Many health food stores and conventional grocery stores carry it in the refrigerated section. You’ll find a variety of brands and flavours.
So, if you’re looking for a healthy alternative to sodas to satisfy your craving for something fizzy or if you’re looking to create some cool cocktails this summer, I highly recommend giving kombucha a try!
What you need for Kombucha “Mulegarita”:
- Kombucha (ginger flavoured is best)
- San Pellegrino (or other carbonated mineral water)
- Concentrated cold ginger tea (optional, see notes)
More cold drink recipes …
- 8 oz. kombucha, ginger flavoured is best
- 8 oz. San Pellegrino, or other carbonated mineral water
- 4 oz. tequila, see notes for non-alcoholic version
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 oz. concentrated cold ginger tea, optional, but recommended if not using ginger flavoured kombucha
- Add lime juice, tequila and ginger tea into a cocktail shaker with lots of ice and shake.
- Strain into two Moscow Mule mugs.
- Add 4 oz. San Pellegrino and 4 oz. kombucha to each mug and stir.
- Garnish with lime wheels or wedges and serve!