Chang’s Spicy Chicken (Gluten & Soy Free, Paleo)
Chang’s Spicy Chicken is crispy tender pan-fried chicken coated in a delicious & spicy sauce. This gluten & soy free Chang’s Chicken recipe is a healthier take on the classic takeout dish. It uses whole food, high-quality ingredients, PLUS heat stable oil for frying. A true guilt-free pleasure for those living a healthy lifestyle!
This recipe is not only super yummy, but it’s also fun to create! So, gather your family or significant other and plan a date night in the kitchen where you can have some fun creating the most delicious Asian-inspired recipe you’ll ever taste!
Enjoy on its own, with a side of steamed veggies or on top of cauliflower “rice”.
What you need for Chang’s Spicy Chicken:
- Chicken breasts
- Arrowroot starch/flour
- Avocado oil
- Green onions
- Coconut aminos
- Fish sauce (optional)
- Rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Organic ketchup
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili flakes
- Pineapple juice
- Sesame oil
- Sea salt & black pepper
When making Asian-inspired dishes (like this one), I coat my chicken in arrowroot powder and then fry in heat stable avocado oil. This creates a crispy coating on the chicken that absorbs sauce and tastes delicious!
Want more healthy Asian-inspired recipes? You’re going to love these …
Chang's Spicy Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Avocado oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp fish sauce, optional
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp organic ketchup
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch/flour
- Sea salt , to taste
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and place in a large bowl with arrowroot flour, salt & pepper. Toss until chicken is coated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients (or use a blender to combine ingredients). Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of a large frying pan with avocado oil and heat until it begins to sizzle. Add coated chicken cubes to the hot oil. You may need to do this in two batches if your frying pan is not big enough. Cook each batch for about 10 minutes, turning mid-way through, until all sides are golden. Set chicken aside.
- Once all chicken is browned, add back into the hot skillet. Whisk sauce once more & pour into the skillet with chicken. Add 3/4 of the green onions (save the rest for garnish) & cook, stirring until sauce thickens & chicken is well-coated.
- Top with remaining green onions and enjoy on its own, with steamed veggies or on top of cauliflower "rice"!