Designs for Health’s Betaine HCl provides 750 mg betaine hydrochloride along with pepsin, one of the body’s key protein digesting enzymes. This product is ideal for individuals with low stomach acid who may benefit from support for digestive function. It is delivered in capsule form to ensure delivery of the ingredients to the stomach where they are needed to initiate digestion.
Symptoms of low stomach acid include:
- Bloating and gas, particularly after eating
- Feeling full after eating only a small quantity of food
- Food sensitivities/intolerances
- Bowel irregularities such as diarrhea and constipation
- Epigastric and abdominal pain
- Unintentional weight loss
- Nausea/vomiting and dysphagia
Benefits of Betaine HCl and Pepsin may include:
- Digestive support for individuals with low stomach acid
- Potential decrease in certain food sensitivities through improved digestion of proteins
- May help prevent overgrowth of opportunistic GI microbes
Betaine HCl is an excellent source of hydrochloric acid, which is produced by the parietal cells of the stomach.
Hydrochloric acid is required for:
- The breakdown of protein for further digestion in the small intestine
- The conversion of pepsinogen, the inactive enzyme secreted by the gastric glands, into pepsin.
- The proper absorption of nutrients, including vitamin B12 and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and selenium.
- A healthy immune system, as the acid provides a protective barrier against bacterial and yeast overgrowth.