This easy Dairy Free Pesto is the perfect complement to so many dishes! It’s quick to make and adds a ton of flavour to vegetables, meat, fish & even eggs! Plant-based, paleo, low-carb & keto. AIP version provided (see recipe notes).
Is your herb garden bursting with the amazing aroma of fresh basil? Or maybe you’re like me and just adore the smell and taste of this beautiful herb?
Summer is the perfect time to create fresh and flavourful pesto sauce since you can easily find fresh basil in the grocery stores, at farmer’s markets and in your own backyard if you’re the green thumb type!
From time to time I make a batch of pesto and store it in a small mason jar in my fridge. This makes it super easy to add fresh flavour to almost all my dishes throughout the week. You can also store your pesto in the freezer for longer (ice cubes trays are great for this).
Pesto goes great with a variety of whole foods including:
- Spaghetti squash & zucchini noodles – try my Chicken Pesto “Spaghetti”
- Seafood & fish (including canned fish) – try my Wild Salmon with Pesto
- Chicken & pork
- Potatoes and other veggies
- Salads – try my Avocado Caprese Salad
DID YOU KNOW? Traditionally, basil has been used to help reduce bloating and water retention, stomach cramps, acid reflux, and even to kill stomach worms or parasites. In addition, basil can help restore the body’s proper pH by balancing acid levels. Healthy bacteria can flourish in the gut when acid levels are balanced which leads to better digestion and a stronger immune system.
What you need for Dairy Free Pesto:
- Fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pine nuts
Looking for more fresh & healthy recipes? You’ll love these …
- Green Goddess Chicken
- Cilantro & Dill Chimichurri
- Lemon & Pine Nut Kale
- Eggs with Kale Pesto
- Triple Berry Salad
Dairy Free Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Pulse basil, pine nuts and garlic in food processor. Scrape sides if needed.
- Slowly stream in olive oil as the food processor is running on low. Scrape sides occasionally.
- Stir in sea salt and black pepper after processing.
- Use right away or store in an air-tight jar in the fridge. Use within a week or store in the freezer for up to a month (ice cube trays are great for this).
- For AIP version, omit pine nuts and black pepper and add 1 tbsp nutritional yeast.