Sausage & Butternut Squash Skillet (Low-Carb, Paleo)
Sausage & Butternut Squash Skillet makes for a wonderful dinner during the fall and winter. The combination of warming spices, butternut squash and sweet Italian sausage creates a recipe that’s heartwarming and healthy–not to mention, low-carb and paleo too!
DID YOU KNOW? Butternut squash has over four times the recommended daily value of vitamin A and over half the recommended intake of vitamin C in just one serving!
Vitamin A has the ability to fight diseases like cancer and autoimmune disorders, it can also help prevent the common cold and other infections. Part of how it protects against such a large number of infections and diseases is because vitamin A reduces inflammation, which is at the root of most diseases.
Inflammation is generally caused by an overactive immune system that attacks more than it should. Vitamin A helps to keep your immune system in balance therefore reducing inflammation.
In addition, butternut squash contains high amounts of vitamin C, another common immune system booster that not only helps prevent and treat colds, but also lessens or inhibits the development of more serious conditions from common infections.
Consider adding more butternut squash to your diet to help boost vitamin A & C. Try this yummy Sausage & Butternut Squash skillet.
What you need for Sausage & Butternut Squash Skillet
Sweet Italian sausage (find pastured pork sausage here)
Ground cloves or ground allspice
Crushed red pepper
Sea salt & black pepper
Want more wholesome squash recipes? You’re going to love these …
Sausage & Butternut Squash Skillet
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves or ground allspice
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup organic chicken broth
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix sausage, finely chopped sage, fennel seed, cloves/all spice and ground black pepper.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add the sausage mixture and cook, breaking into large pieces until browned.
- Add the squash, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, nutmeg and coarsely chopped sage; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 18 to 20 minutes.