“Spaghetti” with Ricotta & Cherry Tomatoes (Gluten Free, Low-Carb)
“Spaghetti” with Ricotta & Cherry Tomatoes is fresh and flavourful! This simple whole food dish is easy to prepare and only requires 6 simple ingredients. It’s the perfect dish during the summer months when fresh basil and cherry tomatoes are abundant. Gluten & grain free + low-carb.
After my recent trip to Italy, I’ve been feeling even more inspired to create healthier gluten free versions of some great Italian spaghetti dishes. This time around, I decided to experiment with one of my favourite cheeses growing up, ricotta!
I don’t consume dairy on a regular basis, but when I come across fresh, high-quality cheeses (like the ricotta cheese from Quality Cheese in Woodbridge) it’s an absolute MUST have!
There are a few ricotta inspired recipes I’ve been itching to try, but I wanted to start with this one since you can still find fresh tomatoes and basil in stores.
So, if your body can digest dairy well and you’re looking for a flavourful whole food “spaghetti” dish to try, I definitely recommend this one. It’s low carb, gluten & grain free!
What you need for “Spaghetti” with Ricotta & Cherry Tomatoes:
- Spaghetti squash
- Fresh ricotta cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
If you love this recipe then you’ve got to try …
- “Spaghetti” alla Puttanesca
- Chicken Pesto “Spaghetti”
- Quick “Spaghetti” Bolognese
- “Spaghetti” alla Vodka
"Spaghetti" with Ricotta & Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 8 oz fresh ricotta cheese
- 15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, whole
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup hot water
- Sea salt , to taste
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds with spoon. Bake at 400F for 30-40 min (first 10 min bake with flesh down, then turn so skin is down for remaining time). Fork should pierce skin easily when squash is cooked. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash when done.
- When spaghetti squash is almost done, heat olive oil in saucepan (medium heat) and add garlic, tomatoes and salt.
- Cook for a few minutes until tomatoes soften and garlic begins to brown and then remove garlic cloves.
- Add ricotta cheese and 1 cup of hot water to tomato sauce and stir. Let reduce for a few minutes.
- Add spaghetti squash to saucepan. Toss and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, toss in basil and serve.