This Quick “Spaghetti” Bolognese is so easy to make and absolutely delicious! All you need is a handful of wholesome ingredients like spaghetti squash, ground beef, tomato passata & garlic. It’s a hearty & quick week night or weekend meal. Gluten & grain free, low-carb and paleo.
One of the dishes I missed most after going gluten & grain free was a nice big bowl of spaghetti. It truly was a heartbreaking moment in my life and it took every ounce of willpower I had to turn down pasta of any kind – especially when Nonna had anything to do with it!
Life got a little easier when I wrapped my head around this thing called a “spaghetti squash” – and eventually I saw the light again once I mastered this pale yellow oval vegetable/fruit!
I’m no longer deprived of one of my favourite childhood dishes – and can eat a giant bowl of this “spaghetti” without feeling “heavy” or bloated. ‘Spaghetti Sunday’ is officially back!
Nutrition facts: Spaghetti squash vs. real spaghetti
Spaghetti squash – 10 grams of carbs/cup & 42 calories/cup & mother nature’s nutrients
Real spaghetti – 43 grams of carbs/cup & 220 calories/cup
Spaghetti squash is a great alternative if;
- you want to lose weight (lower carbs & calories + more nutrients = weight loss)
- you have IBS or gut issues (since gluten and grains can aggravate symptoms)
- you have diabetes (lower carb foods = better blood sugar levels)
- you’re following a paleo, keto or low-carb diet
Give this light, satisfying and delicious Quick “Spaghetti” Bolognese recipe a try. It’s a ‘kiss your finger tips then toss them away from your lips’ kind of dish!
What you need for Quick “Spaghetti” Bolognese:
- Grass-fed ground beef
- Spaghetti squash
- Tomato passata
- Extra virgin olive oil
Want more wholesome “spaghetti” recipes? You’re going to love these …
- Ricotta & Cherry Tomatoes “Spaghetti”
- “Spaghetti” alla Puttanesca
- Chicken Pesto “Spaghetti”
- “Spaghetti” alla Vodka
Quick "Spaghetti" Bolognese
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1.5 cup tomato passata
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil, or 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & black pepper , to taste
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds with spoon.
- Bake at 400 for 30-40 min (first 10-min bake with flesh down, then turn so skin is down for remaining time). Fork should pierce skin easily when squash is cooked. Note: Cooking time varies depending on the size of the squash. Check regularly to avoid overcooking the squash. You want the noodles to be ‘al dente’. Time your spaghetti squash so that it’s done cooking around the same time as your sauce, so your noodles don’t cool.
- Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash.
Quick Bolognese Sauce
- In a sauce pan, briefly sauté garlic and dried basil in olive oil over medium heat. If you are using fresh basil, add basil leaves in after step 2.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a light boil for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Bring to medium-low heat and let simmer for 20-minutes.
- In a separate pan, cook ground beef over medium heat until lightly browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato sauce into pan with beef and let ingredients cook together over medium-low heat for a few minutes.
- Place quick bolognese sauce on top of spaghetti squash and enjoy!
Reblogged this on Crackling Pork Rinds.