Lemon Amaretti (Plant-Based, Paleo)
Lemon Amaretti are a delicious variation on a classic Italian almond cookie. These chewy cookies are absolutely delicious and bursting with refreshing lemon flavour! Made with simple & natural ingredients and free from refined sugar, gluten, grains & eggs.
DID YOU KNOW? Food-grade lemon essential oil can be used in a variety of recipes (from sweet treats to savory dishes) to replace lemon zest or lemon extract.
Lemon essential oil is a highly concentrated derivative of lemons that comes from cold-pressing the lemon peel and not the inner fruit. The peel is the most nutrient-dense portion of the lemon in terms of fat soluble phytonutrients.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with lemon essential oil in my smoothies and baked goods – and OMG, I’m hooked!
Lemon essential oil not only packs a flavourful punch, but it makes my food taste like I’m some kind of pro chef . The best part is – no more chipping my shellac nails on the evil zester!
Tips for incorporating lemon essential oil into recipes:
- Zest of 1 lemon = 8-14 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 tsp of lemon zest = 1-3 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 tsp of lemon extract = 3-4 drops lemon essential oil
- Add lemon essential oil into recipes as you would lemon zest or lemon extract.
- The flavour of lemon essential oil will dissipate during cooking/baking, so add a couple extra drops of oil to recipes that require cooking.
What you need for Lemon Amaretti:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Coconut oil
- Lemon essential oil (food grade) OR lemon zest
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- Raw almonds
Want more healthy cookie recipes? You’re going to love these …
- Espresso Amaretti
- Orange Almond Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted & cooled
- 3 tbsp honey
- 10 drops lemon essential oil (food-grade), OR zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 25-30 raw almonds, to top cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor (or mix by hand in a bowl) until a batter forms and holds together. If batter is too moist, add more coconut flour. If batter is too crumbly, add more coconut oil.
- Scoop batter with a small spoon, place on baking sheet and form into preferred shape. Leave 1-2 inches of space between cookies. Top each cookie with an almond.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until edges start to brown. Let cool on baking sheet. Once cooled, store cookies in airtight container.
Get 24% off all Young Living essential oils (including food-grade oils) here.