Espresso Amaretti Cookies are a delicious variation on a classic Italian almond cookie. Made with just 5 simple & clean ingredients. These cookies are free from refined sugar, gluten & grains. Only 20-minutes needed to make these delicious cookies, just in time for the holiday season!
Almonds and coffee come together to make a perfect flavor combination. If you don’t believe me, then you’ve got to try this recipe! These chewy cookies are not too sweet, with a subtle espresso flavour. They are a perfect bite sized treat with a shot of espresso!
When creating this recipe, I tried a couple variations (in particular, brewed espresso vs. ground espresso beans) to find the right balance of flavour and texture. I decided to go with brewed espresso instead of ground espresso beans. Although the ground espresso beans offered a more intense espresso flavor, I felt that the brewed espresso resulted in a more balanced cookie.
I also decided to make these cookies egg free, even though traditional amaretti cookies are made with eggs. I did this for two reasons …
- To keep this recipe super simple and easy to make. You can literally prepare and bake these cookies in just-20 minutes.
- For people who have an intolerance or allergy to eggs. In addition, those following a plant-based or vegan diet can enjoy these cookies.
You’ll find that the taste and texture is still awesome even without eggs.
Espresso Amaretti Cookies can be stored in an airtight container (to ensure that they remain chewy) at room temperature for up to 1 week. These cookies can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
What you need for Espresso Amaretti Cookies
- Almond flour
- Coconut palm sugar
- Baking powder
- Almond extract
Want more healthy cookie recipes? You’re going to love these …
- Lemon Amaretti Cookies
- Orange Almond Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Espresso Amaretti Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp brewed espresso, cooled
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 30 espresso beans, to top cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, coconut palm sugar and baking powder in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add almond extract and espresso to bowl and combine ingredients, using a spoon or spatula, until a sticky dough forms and holds together.
- Scoop batter with a teaspoon and roll into balls. Place on baking sheet (1-2 inches of space between balls).
- Press an espresso bean into the top of each ball until a cookie shape is formed. For a chewy cookie, don’t flatten the dough too much.
- Bake at 350F for 12 minutes. Let cool then store cookies in airtight container.