Cauliflower “Rice” (AIP, Low-Carb, Paleo)
Are you looking for a low-carb and gut friendly alternative to grains like rice, quinoa and couscous? Look no further than Cauliflower “Rice”! This nutrient-dense vegetable is a perfect substitute for grains and will leave you feeling satisfied. It’s extremely versatile and can be used as a base or side for so many dishes.
A few great ways to add Cauliflower “Rice” to your menu …
1. Use it as a side to a salmon fillet, juicy steak, chicken breast or another protein source.
2. Use it as a base for stir fries or curry dishes.
3. Top it with some soul-warming chili.
4. Eat it on its own as a mid-day snack or mix in canned tuna and call it lunch. It tastes great cold too, so no need to warm it up.
Here’s my quick and easy go-to recipe for Cauliflower “Rice”.
What you need for Cauliflower “Rice”:
- Onion or shallot
- Avocado oil
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
There are so many herbs and spices that go well with cauliflower, so don’t be shy and change up the flavour each time you prepare this dish.
Looking for more healthy sides? You’re going to love these …
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Chop cauliflower into chunks.
- Put into a food processor and process into a rice like consistency (be sure not to over-process).
- In a deep pan, sauté onion in oil until soft then add riced cauliflower.
- Add lemon juice and sea salt. Combine ingredients.
- Cook at medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in a handful of fresh cilantro or parsley near the end.
- There are so many herbs and spices that go well with cauliflower, so don't be shy and change up the flavour each time you prepare this dish.