Vegetable “Rice” (AIP, Keto, Paleo)
Vegetable “rice” is a great low-carb, gut friendly and nutrient-dense substitute for grains like rice, quinoa and couscous. It’s extremely versatile and can be used as a base or side for so many dishes. AIP, keto, paleo & plant-based
Here are a few great ways to add vegetable “rice” to your menu …
1. Use it as a side to salmon, steak, chicken or another protein source.
2. Use it as a base for a stir-fry.
3. Top it with fried eggs for a nutrient-rich breakfast. Check out this recipe!
4. Add “rice” and a can of wild salmon, sardines or tuna to a container, and take it with you to work for a healthy lunch.
5. Eat it on its own as a mid-day snack — vegetable “rice” tastes great cold too, so just grab the leftovers from the fridge and enjoy!
I like to make a batch of this “rice” ahead of time and add it to different meals throughout my week. It makes meal prep super easy – and adds tons of flavour and nutrients to my meals!
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- Celery or broccoli
- Avocado oil
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Sea salt
Looking for more healthy sides for your next meal? You’ll love these …
- 1 head cauliflower
- 6 medium carrots
- 4 stalks celery, or 2 cups broccoli
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar , or lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop vegetables into large chunks, place on baking sheet and coat with oil and salt.
- Bake for 45-minutes.
- Put cooked vegetables and vinegar/lemon juice in a food processor and process into a rice-like consistency. I recommend using the pulse function so you don't over-process. You may need to do this step in two batches.