Eggnog’s warm and festive flavours coupled with its rich and creamy texture makes it the perfect drink on its own–or even better, when combined with coffee to make this Dairy Free Eggnog Latte!
Some notes on making Dairy Free Eggnog Latte
- The egg yolk is not necessary for taste, but it does create a creamier texture which is important if you’re using watered down carton nut milks. If using canned full fat coconut milk or other high fat nut milk, then the egg yolk is less important.
- If you want a frothy latte and don’t have an espresso machine with a steam wand, you can use a blender, immersion stick or other frothing tool instead. Blend/froth warmed eggnog then pour into the espresso OR blend/froth eggnog and espresso together.
- If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can make this latte with 1/2 a cup of strong brewed coffee instead.
- Even if you don’t like eggnog, you just might enjoy this eggnog latte. The BF is proof of this. He hates eggnog, but he’s a coffee snob and enjoyed the combination of flavours in this recipe. BIG win for our Sunday latte experiment!
What you need for Dairy Free Eggnog Latte
- Coconut milk or other nut milk
- Maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Ceylon cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Pastured egg yolk (optional)
Want more delicious & healthy holiday recipes? You’re going to love these …
Dairy Free Eggnog Latte
- 1 cup coconut milk , or other nut milk
- 1-2 tsp. maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 shots espresso
- 1 pastured egg yolk, optional (see notes above)
- In a saucepan, warm nut milk, sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg over medium-low for roughly 5-minutes, stirring occasionally. You can also use a steam wand on an espresso machine to warm and froth ingredients at the same time.
- If using an egg yolk: In a separate bowl, whip the egg yolk until frothy. Add a few teaspoons of the warm nut milk to the egg yolk (this will ensure you don't end up with scrambled eggs), then pour the egg mixture into the warm nut milk and continue to heat for a couple minutes.
- Froth the milk mixture/eggnog with a blender, immersion stick or other tool, if desired.
- Brew espresso then combine the eggnog with the espresso.
- Feel free to top with whipped coconut cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg and cinnamon.