Does the cold weather have you searching for recipes that you and your family can warm up to in the comfort of your home? Search no further than this Beef & Black Bean Chili! It’s easy to make and will leave your home smelling of soul warming comfort food.
Here’s what makes this chili recipe the best …
- It uses black beans which may be easier to digest when compared to other beans traditionally used in chili.
- It can easily be modified to be paleo, dairy free, keto and low-carb (see recipe below for modifications).
- There’s a variety of healthy and unique toppings that you can try.
- It uses fire roasted tomatoes which adds extra flavour, but regular canned tomatoes works great too.
- The end result is absolutely delicious and soul warming! Best part is, leftovers taste just as great–if not better!
Serve this dish on its own or on top of cauliflower “rice” for an even heartier meal.
Looking for more chili recipes?
Try my Pumpkin Chili! It’s a hearty, paleo friendly and low-carb chili with a unique combination of pumpkin, zucchini, warming spices and cocoa.
What you need for Beef & Black Bean Chili …
- Grass-fed ground beef
- Black beans (see recipe for paleo version)
- Red pepper
- Jalapeño pepper
- Canned tomatoes
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Avocado oil
- Optional Toppings: Lime, goat sour cream or coconut kefir, cilantro, plantain chips
Want more wholesome comfort food recipes? You’re going to love these …
- Sloppy Joes with Sweet Potato Buns
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Tostone Taco Bites
- “Spaghetti” alla Vodka
- Margherita Pizza with Cassava Flour Crust
Beef & Black Bean Chili
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 400 ml can black beans, drained and rinsed, OR 1/2 lb extra ground beef*
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 796 ml can fire roasted tomatoes (or regular), diced
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup filtered water
- 4 wedges lime
- 4 tbsp. goat sour cream, or coconut kefir (dairy free version)
- 1 handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 small bag plantain chips
- Over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in ghee or avocado oil (~2 minutes).
- Add red peppers and jalapeño (~2 minutes).
- Add all spices and sauté until aromas begin to surface.
- Add ground beef and allow meat to brown (~2-4 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, black beans and water then bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Lower heat, cover and let simmer for ~1.5 hours OR throw everything into a slow-cooker and set at low for 8-hours or set at high for 4-hours.
- Top each chili plate with a lime wedge, 1 tbsp. sour cream/coconut kefir, a sprinkle of cilantro and/or a few plantain chips.