Mediterranean Tuna Salad (Paleo, Keto, AIP version)
Mediterranean Tuna Salad is the perfect quick and healthy lunch recipe! It’s super easy to prepare with just 6 simple ingredients needed and zero cooking time. This delicious salad recipe is paleo, low-carb, keto and can be made AIP by substituting tomatoes for cucumbers, olives or avocado.
DID YOU KNOW? Tuna fish is right up there with other healthy types of fish, such as salmon, when it comes to nutrition — it packs a good amount of protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Tuna’s high protein content makes it an excellent addition to a weight loss diet since it can help reduce your appetite, prevent cravings and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
In addition, protein makes up the foundation of your hair, skin, nails and muscles; is crucial for the synthesis of certain enzymes and hormones; and is used for the growth and repair of tissues.
So, including more tuna fish in your diet can help provide your body with the protein that you need.
Lastly, tuna is rich in omega-3 fatty acids (a.k.a. fish oil), which may be able to alleviate inflammation and reduce the risk of disease. Fish oil has potent anti-inflammatory properties, and multiple studies have shown that it could be therapeutic for autoimmune conditions like Crohn’s disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.
NOTE: Stick to wild types of tuna that are caught using the Pacific troll or pole and line methods. Also, avoid Atlantic bluefin tuna, which may have a negative impact on both the environment and your health because it is over-fished and often farm-raised.
What you need for Mediterranean Tuna Salad:
- Wild skipjack tuna
- Mixed greens salad
- Cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
Looking for more canned fish recipes? You’ll love these …
- Raspberry Tuna Salad
- Tuna & Sauerkraut Wrap
- Mediterranean Tuna Pizza
- Sardines with Cilantro & Dill Chimichurri
Mediterranean Tuna Salad
- 1 can wild skipjack tuna, drained
- 3-4 cups mixed greens
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved, (replace with olives, cucumbers or avocado for AIP version)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl or container, add greens, tuna, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- If you're eating right away, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and toss. If you're taking it to go in a container, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar then shake container right before you eat to coat ingredients.