If you’re following a low-carb or keto diet and someone tells you that you need processed foods like breads, pastas and cereal grains in order to get adequate amounts of fiber in your diet, hit them with this fact …
One serving of kale contains more fiber than 3 slices of whole wheat bread!
Don’t forget to throw in a “KALE YEAH!” at the end 😉
Italian Sausage & Kale Soup
6 slices pastured bacon (diced)
2 pounds Italian sausage (casing removed)
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 small yellow onion (diced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into small cubes)
4 cups chicken broth (store-bought or homemade)
4 cups filtered water
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (I made my own blend using oregano, basil, rosemary, & fennel seeds)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4-5 large kale leaves (chopped)
1 cup full-fat coconut milk (canned)
1 lemon (juice only)
1. Using a big stove-top pot, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pot and set aside. Drain excess fat from pot.
2. Add sausage to pot and break apart meat. Cook at medium heat until sausage is brown and a little crispy. Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
3. Add avocado oil to pot and sauté onion and garlic until onion becomes translucent. Add sausage, potatoes, chicken stock, water, seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Bring heat to medium-low, cover pot and let cook for 30-minutes.
5. Add kale to pot and let cook for 5-minutes.
6. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and bacon. Let cook for another 5-minutes.
7. Taste and add additional salt/seasoning if needed.